home Forums Problems or Issues White beans not all cooking evenly

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Essian
    Participant

Hi!

I’m wondering if anyone has the same problem as I do with pressure cooking white beans. Several times when I’ve cooked them, when I open the cooker, there’s a large handful of beans floating on the surface. They sink back into the water with the others after a few seconds, but when I look at them they are all shrivelled and they’re not cooked through. The rest of the beans in the pot are fine…plump, smooth and soft.

In the pic you can see the difference between the dark wrinkly undercooked beans and the lighter overcooked ones.

I usually soak the beans for around 10 hrs in the fridge, rinse several times, then pressure cook on high in water with no salt for 10-12 mins, and quick release. At first I thought the beans were the problem, but it’s happened with a new batch too so I’m wondering if I need to blame the cook instead of the beans. Any thoughts on what’s going wrong would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Essie

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Essie, those beans look like they’re not cooked all the way through. There could be several reasons for this. One might be hard water. Hard water is filled with minerals which may even be a little acidic and slow down the soaking and cooking of the beans.

Another issue could just be the supplier where the store is getting the beans – try to go to a bulk-bin type store that is often re-filled and see if that takes care of it.

Lastly, you should never open a cooker full of beans with the quick release. Beans generate quite a bit of foam when boiling (and while releasing pressure) so you don’t want this foam to spray out and bring bits of beans to clog the valve.

Dismantle the pressure valve and give it a good cleaning and, next time, open the cooker with Natural release!

Ciao,

L

swtgran
    Participant

Essian, also allowing the pressure to release naturally adds to the time the beans are actually cooking. That gives the beans more time to continue cooking with the hold over heat in the cooker. terry r.

Essian
    Participant

Thanks for the replies! I think you’re right – the beans seem undercooked. I’ll try cooking them for longer, but I’m still baffled as to why some are mushy and overcooked and others are completely undercooked. It’s almost as though some of them aren’t fully submerged in the water, but I don’t know how that could be!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

If you soaked them in plenty of water the fact that some are plump and some are wrinkled is not your fault. It just means some beans in the package were older than others – it looks like the producer mixed them up before bagging.

Definitely go with another brand next time, too!

Ciao,

L

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.