home Forums Request Line Whole Turkey in a pressure cooker

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jonilyn
    Participant

I have a 12.25 lb fresh turkey. I was wondering if I could cook it whole. The largest pressure cooker I have is 8qt.

Regards…..Jonilyn

Anonymous
    Participant

I think I would struggle getting it into my 12 Litre. Keeping below the fill line will be the big challenge.

Jonilyn
    Participant

Thanks Greg. May end up cutting up the turkey to pressure cook it.

Regards…..Jonilyn

teresabgraham
    Participant

I do not think I would do a turkey in a pressure cooker. Turkey is usually very tender and like pork roast should be toasted. I could be wrong?
    I wish someone would develop a large braising PC ( electric for me)

Jonilyn
    Participant

I have done turkey thighs in the pressure cooker with a base of vegetable broth and celery, onions, and carrots. I put a steamer on top of the thighs and steam potatoes and turnips. A turkey dinner in less than 30 min. I then take the thighs and brown them under the broiler. Fantastic meal.

I have a fresh 12 lb turkey and if I had a big enough PC I would do it in the pressure cooker. I’m not looking to have a picturesque turkey just beautiful, moist meat that will be covered with gravy anyway. So……I may cut the turkey up and pressure cook it in several of my pressure cookers.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Might be better that way as white and dark meat cook differently. Plus you will have all of that lovely stock immediately.

Last night I made turkey soup with Bisquick dumplings from leftover turkey and stock I had in the freezer. Was yummy, but still your recipe makes my mouth water. I will have to try t.

Helen

Anonymous
    Participant

Well my oven is not working.

Going to try cooking a 12.5# whole Turkey in my Presto canner.

Read other places folks had problems with the bird fitting in a regular PC, that won’t be a problem in the 23qt canner.

Anonymous
    Participant

The bird came out tender and very juicy.

Cooked it for 40mins once the PC came up to 15psi, could have cooked it for a little shorter time, first time I didn’t want it to be under-done.

I am recommending this style of cooking a whole turkey.

Next time I’ll tie wires to the grating in the bottom of the PC so I can lift out the bird easier, the bird tends to want to fall apart when its removed by hand from the PC.
    Also next time I think I’ll try browning the turkey with a torch.

William Ray Vannoy
    Participant

I have seen some of the posts on using a larger pc, I got the Wolfgang Puck pressure oven for Christmas and I was trying to find information on how to cook a 20 lbs deboned turkey! (only way to get it in the PC) I am used a deep metal pan that fits in the oven very tightly and spatchcocked and removed the breast bones and covered in aluminum foil. I cooked it for 45 minutes then another 30 minutes without the foil. It was the best and fastest turkey I have had, it was so easy to carve, just wished I had taken a picture of it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.