home Forums Request Line Wild Rice AND Basmati Brown in same PC

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    AIR-WIZZ
    Participant

Hi Hip-Gal
    I want to make wild rice with Basmati Brown (Long) in the same pressure cooker. I make my coconut milk in my Vita-mix and a nut bag and would like to use that too. My idea is to use two heat proof containers and the Bain Marie method. I imagine I will cook the wild rice for 15 minutes and using the quick release method, I would add the Basmati Brown rice/coconut milk in its own heat proof container and then do another 15 minutes. I’m not sure what seasoning I would use yet with this combination but I wanted your thoughts and suggestions on this cooking method idea to minimize my learning curve and expenses with wasted/failed attempts. I’m not sure if I should use the quick release method after finishing or the natural release method. I don’t want my rice to be split if that is possible. Any suggestions on this whole process I described above that you could provide me from your expertise would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    David
    8^)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

First the natural release is not to prevent the rice from splitting – it’s to prevent your pressure cooker from spraying out foam. I haven’t pressure cooked Basmati Brown myself (I can only get local Italian brown rice varieties and Brown Arborio is very different from Brown Basmati) so I’m going to use the basic brown rice cooking time.

There is only a 5 minute difference in cooking time between brown and wild rice.

So I recommend that you put the wild rice in the base with its needed liquid, and then the brown in the container on top with the coconut milk and loosely covered with foil to make it last a little longer. Then, pressure cook this whole set-up for 25 minutes and open with the natural release.

Strain the wild rice and mix-it in with the brown and enjoy!

Ciao,

L

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.