Caponatina is a lighter and easier version to make than its cousin Caponata – which requires frying three ingredients separately. With this recipe, you lightly brown all of the vegetables together and give them a quick wilt in pressure cooker for just four minutes – making no frying and no waiting!
You can make a complete meal of this dish by serving it with crostini, and a couple slices of fresh mozzarella!
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|6 L or larger||none||4 min.||High(2)||Normal|
- 1 large Eggplant, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium pepper (red or yellow), cut into strips
- 2 medium Zucchini, cut into rounds
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon Capers (strained and rinsed if in oil, rinsed if in salt)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (one for cooking, one for sprinkling at the end)
- 1 tablespoons raisins, re-hydrated and squeezed
- ¼ cup olives, pits removed
- 1 bunch basil, chopped (half for cooking, half for sprinkling at the end)
- salt and Pepper to taste
- Put the eggplant in a strainer and sprinkle the cubes with salt. To get all of the bitter liquid out: add a plate on top of the cubed eggplant and some kind of weight on top of that to push it down (I use my full tea kettle) and leave them to rest for about half an hour.
- In the meantime, wash and slice the other vegetables as indicated.
- In the pre-heated pressure cooker, on high heat without the lid, add the olive oil and brown the vegetables, adding them in the following order, stirring them constantly with a wooden spoon.
- First, add the eggplant and potatoes (wait 3 minutes but keep stirring), peppers and onions (wait another 3 minutes and keep stirring), Zucchini (stir for another 3). Your cooker will begin to get quite full, so stir carefully!
- Finally, add half the chopped basil, pine nuts, raisins, olives, capers, salt
andpepper to taste.
- If you're using an electric pressure cooker, that requires more than ½ cup of water to reach pressure, add one cup of water.
Close the lid and set the valve to pressure cooking position.
Electric pressure cookers and stove top pressure cookers: Cook for 4 minutes at high pressure.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker with the Normal release - release pressure through the valve.
- Transfer the contents of the pressure cooker to a serving dish immediately (so the vegetables can cool) and the
caponatinacome to room temperature before mixing in the cherry tomatoes and dressing with a little fresh olive oil, balsamic vinegar (if needed - check to taste the acidity first - the tomatoes if not fully ripe may have contributed enough acid).
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and the remaining pine nuts, raisins and olives.