Fresh borlotti have a green and fresh flavor that no amount of soaking could ever put back into dry. If you happen to see fresh beans at the market grab them and rush home to make this salad! The pods weigh almost as much as the beans inside – there is no need for any precision in this recipe – but if your goal is a pound of beans to cook, get around two pounds of un-shelled fresh beans.
Pressure Cooking Fresh Beans
Leave the beans in their pods, and pop them out shortly before cooking to keep them fresh and tender. And all those little baby- or weird looking beans? They won’t look good in the bean salad, so set them aside and toss them into your next pressure cooker stock.
How long to pressure cook fresh beans? Just as long as soaked beans – for a more al dente bean, such as this one that will be used in a salad, shave a minute off the recommended pressure cooking time and then rinse the cooked beans as soon as you get them out of the pressure cooker to stop them from continuing to cook.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|6 L or larger||none||6-9 min.||High(2)||Natural|
- ¼ small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 pounds fresh Borlotti beans, shelled (or 1 cup dried, soaked overnight)
- 4 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 anchovies, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- a few twists freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put sliced onions in serving bowl and drizzle with the vinegar - set aside.
- To the pressure cooker add shelled beans, garlic, bay leaf and water.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 7-9 minutes at high pressure.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker with the Natural release method - move the cooker off the burner and wait for the pressure to come down on its own. If after 10 minutes, all of the pressure has not dissipated release the rest using the valve.
- Strain the beans (save the cooking liquid to use in another recipe ) and rinse under cold water to cool off.
- Mix beans with onions (and their vinegar), anchovies, oilve oil, black pepper and salt.